So the good news is that I’m getting into edits and writing and thinking about writing etc. once more. Which means that I’m probably going to get back to posting a bit more regularly again. But then I have a bit less time than I’d like, so I might not. I am, therefore sticking to posting as and when I have something to write about. In the meantime, I’m trying to get around to visiting more of you.
In the meantime I’m going to draw some inspiration to an experience I’ve had while editing on Friday.
Just to recap: As some of you probably know, I had to split my first book into two in order to sign with my former publishing house. Which means that (even though I now have my rights back), I have to make sure that both halves have to stand on their own as stories.
See, for me to put the stories back into one book would require undoing a ton of work, and that’s just not my style. As a result, I’ve had to form a smaller story arch to carry the over-all story that runs through the whole series.
To a large extent, I did this already for the former publishing house, but basically I was told that the story-line wasn’t strong enough.
And if you read Wednesday’s post, you’ll know that I’ve been grappling with ways I could strengthen the story.
Believe it or not, I published that post, opened my manuscript and made the second change that occurred to me. Even better, I think it works. Better than that, it’s truly an elegant solution. It was a simple change, about 1500 words added in, and ever since, the repercussions of the addition have continued to improve the story.
Bet you want to know what I did.
Lucky for you, I’m awesome, so I’m going to tell you.
I took a bit of information that I’d kept for the big shocker reveal at the end of book four, and I put it: